Monday 14 March 2011

Secrets of a Personal Trainer

Do you always wonder how your Personal Trainer looks so amazing? International Power Plate® Master Trainer Amanda Boyle dishes the dirt on the secrets they don’t want you to know…  


These days in my job I'm spending less time on the gym floor training clients and more time sitting at a desk behind the computer. They call it ‘career progression’… By just how healthy is it for my body?


For the last six years I've lived in the fast pace of London, and now I’ve returned to the laidback Sydney lifestyle. I love it - sunshine, good food and good friends. 

However lately I’ve found myself asking “What is THAT?”

By ‘THAT’ I'm referring to my new love handles and increasing fat below my belly button. I never usually weigh myself, so with the appearance of these extra curves I’ve been a little… curious. So I did it, and I can safely say there is quite a bit more to Amanda than there was to the Amanda that came back to Oz six months ago.

I know why I've put on weight, but what I have found most important is knowing how to change my body in a positive way. I’m now ready to use my PT knowledge and return to my original weight.

Do you know how to do this yourself? I thought I would share with you the PT secrets to maintaining a fabulously fit body – even if your lifestyle changes.

PORTION SIZES AND EATING OUT
In London you get paid once a month, so eating out is reduced to a maximum of twice a month instead of the very elaborate twice a week here in Sydney.  I've also noticed how large the portion sizes are in Australia. No wonder we have taken over from the USA as the world’s most obese nation – there are too many calories hidden in our dining out / takeaway meals.

Strategy #1 - Cook and prepare most of your meals at home. Choose only healthy options (like fresh fruit and vegetables) and avoid any takeaway or processed foods. It may take longer to prepare your meals, but it will be worth it when your pants fit again.

DAILY CALORIE EXPENDITURE
I now train myself in the gym more than I did before. In London I always burnt more energy over the whole day to the point where I didn’t worry about weight gain. I always kept myself moving – I never drove a car, but walked or cycled instead.

Here’s a quick comparison of my job then to my job now…

Previous Job - Fitness Manager plus Personal Training
  • Average Daily Heart Rate whilst at work: 80 - 130 bpm
  • On the Gym Floor [8- 10 hours per day] standing and personal training
  • 2 x weights sessions per day
  • 1 x group exercise classes - teaching SPIN
  • Rode my bike to clients’ homes [20-30 min average per day]
New Role - Head of Education Power Plate Australia
  • Average Daily Heart Rate - 66 - 90 bpm
  • Coaching Personal Trainers on Vibration Training
  • 6- 8 hours sitting at my desk each day
  • Twice a month training courses where I teach a class while standing
  • 4 - 5  x Gym sessions per week for a duration of 1 hour each
Have a look at the differences in my Heart Rate Zones!
Personal trainers always make weight loss sound so easy. Realistically though, there is only so much time you can spend exercising each day unless you work as a Personal Trainer yourself.
I now have a good understanding of the time problems that my clients who work such long hours face. Your stomach muscles never work sitting down – no wonder they go flabby!
That’s why movement is such a big part of looking great. The most important thing to remember is that the magic recipe for weight loss is eating less calories than you burn. The more you move, the more you lose! There are, however, ways that you can increase your movement over the day and burn more calories even if you don’t have a lot of time. Be sure to take regular breaks from your computer and take a quick walk around the office or down the street… just don’t make it an excuse to get that chocolate bar from the corner store! You can also try a quick workout that works your body in a fraction of the time with a Power Plate machine – a vibrating platform which causes your muscles to contract at a rate of around 35 times per second. A Power Plate workout takes around 25 – 30 minutes to complete, so it’s great for a pick-me-up at lunchtime or a quick workout before heading back to pick up the kids. You can find your closest Power Plate studio at www.powerplate.com.au 

Strategy #2: Burn more calories over the whole day.  Move more, eat less.

LEARN TO BE A TEACHER
If your motivation needs to come from a deeper level, why not do a Fitness Instructor / Personal trainer course?  You don’t need to go into the profession, but the course might help you to know how to function with optimal health and keep a sexy waistline all year round!
My personal recommendation would be to visit PTA Global (www.ptaglobal.com.au) or the Fitness Institute of Australia (www.fia.com.au) to find out more about gaining your certificate. Make sure you tell them Amanda Boyle sent you! If you are interested in Power Plate courses, check out our website www.powerplate.com.au for courses I teach about Power Plate training and Whole Body Vibration!
Strategy #3: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Become a PT today and reap the rewards of great health and a great physique!

No comments:

Post a Comment